What are Prostate Cancer: Treatment Options
Prostate cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the tissues of the prostate gland. The prostate gland is a gland in the male reproductive system found below the bladder and in front of the rectum.
Cancer of the prostate gland is common in males above the age of 50 years. Signs of prostate cancer include a weak flow of urine or frequent urination. The blood level of PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) which is an enzyme produced by the prostate. Biopsy can help diagnose prostate cancer.
Currently we have four modalities of management. Choosing from among the four depends on:
- The patientís overall health
- The stage of the disease
- The results of the laboratory investigations
- The benefits and the potential side effects of the treatment
The treatment options for men with prostate cancer may include:
- Watchful waiting
- Radiation therapy
- Hormone therapy
- Cryosurgery (cryotherapy)
- Biologic therapy
These treatments are generally used one at a time, although they may be combined in some cases. Early diagnosis and initiation of treatment gift a better prognosis for prostate cancer.
What is new in Prostate Cancer ?
By identify possible ways for measuring hypoxia in prostate cancer patients using gene signatures, men with locally advanced prostate cancer can be identified, finds a new study. This is an important finding because patients who are less likely to respond well to radiotherapy can be identified early on.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2018, May 14). Prostate Cancer: Treatment Options - Surgery, Radiation Therapy, Hormone Therapy. Medindia. Retrieved on Oct 02, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/prostate-cancer-treatment-options.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Prostate Cancer: Treatment Options - Surgery, Radiation Therapy, Hormone Therapy". Medindia. Oct 02, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/prostate-cancer-treatment-options.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Prostate Cancer: Treatment Options - Surgery, Radiation Therapy, Hormone Therapy". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/prostate-cancer-treatment-options.htm. (accessed Oct 02, 2023).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2018. Prostate Cancer: Treatment Options - Surgery, Radiation Therapy, Hormone Therapy. Medindia, viewed Oct 02, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/prostate-cancer-treatment-options.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Prostate Cancer: Treatment Options
- Surrogate Endpoints in Localized Prostate Cancer. - Published by PubMed
- Management of Patients with Advanced Prostate Cancer: Report of the Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference 2019. - Published by PubMed
- Novel treatment options in the management of metastatic castration-naÔve prostate cancer; which treatment modality to choose? - Published by PubMed
- Metastatic Hormone-Sensitive Prostate Cancer: A Review of the Current Treatment Landscape. - Published by PubMed
- Physician and facility drivers of spending variation in locoregional prostate cancer. - Published by PubMed