Proper Use and Storage of Condoms
Condoms must be stored and used correctly to get maximum protection.
Proper use of condoms -
- A new condom should be used for each act of intercourse.
- Condoms have an expiry date and should not be used beyond the date of expiry.
- The condom should be worn as soon as erection occurs but before sexual contact (vaginal, anal or oral).
- The tip of the condom should be held and the condom should be slowly unrolled onto the erect penis, leaving space at the tip of the condom.
- In uncircumcised men, the foreskin should be retracted before the condom can be rolled on.
- Care should be taken to ensure that air is not trapped at the tip of the condom.
- Only water-based lubricants should be used over latex condoms. Avoid using oil-based lubricants such as petroleum jelly, cold cream, moisturizer or baby oil that would weaken the condom.
- The penis should be withdrawn from the partner immediately after ejaculation. The condom should be firmly held while doing so to prevent it from slipping off.
Storage of condoms -
- Condoms can be affected by excessive heat and light and therefore it is not a good idea to store condoms in the wallet or back pocket.
- Condoms should be stored in a cool, dry place. Before using, it is very important to check if the package has been damaged in which case it has to be discarded.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 24). Proper Use and Storage of Condoms. Medindia. Retrieved on May 27, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/proper-use-and-storage-of-condoms.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Proper Use and Storage of Condoms". Medindia. May 27, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/proper-use-and-storage-of-condoms.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Proper Use and Storage of Condoms". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/proper-use-and-storage-of-condoms.htm. (accessed May 27, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Proper Use and Storage of Condoms. Medindia, viewed May 27, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/proper-use-and-storage-of-condoms.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
5 years experience
G K Multispecality Clinic , George Town