How can Prolapse of Uterus be treated ?
- Treatment of displaced womb must consist mainly of a suitable diet and exercise. The diet should be so planned as should aim at building up the internal musculature of the body. Of course, any tendency towards tight lacing, constant stooping, and heavy lifting must be avoided.
- To begin with the patient should adopt an all-fruit diet for about five days. The bowel should be cleansed daily with a warm water enema.
- After the all-fruit diet , the patient should gradually embark upon a well-balanced diet, based on three basic food groups, namely, (i) seeds, nuts and grains (ii) vegetables and (iii) fruits.
- A hot Epsom salts bath is also beneficial in the treatment of prolapse of the uterus and should be undertaken twice a week. This bath is prepared by dissolving one or one and half kg. of Epsom-salt in an ordinary bath of hot water. The patient should remain immersed in the bath from ten to twenty minutes. This bath should be taken just before retiring to bed and care should be exercised not to get chilled afterwards. No soaps should be used with the bath as it will interfere with its beneficial effects. The alternate hot and cold hip bath are also useful and should be undertaken at night on alternate days.
- Exercises to strengthen the pelvic musculature are extremely useful in the treatment of prolapse of the uterus. Lying on a couch with the legs raised higher than the rest of the body is very helpful in relieving pain and discomfort from a displaced womb. This should be done from half an hour to an hour two or three times daily. The feet should be raised about eighteen inches by placing cushions under them. When this is not possible the patient can sit on a chair with a feet on another chair. The more this can be done during the day, the better will it be in every way. The patient should also perform other exercises aimed at strengthening the abdominal muscles. These exercises will help greatly in correcting the displacement of the uterus.
- Women should always take precautions to space out their children. This will allow the genital tissues to regain their strength and vitality and thereby prevent prolapse of the uterus.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2014, April 05). Prolapse of Uterus Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on May 21, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/prolapseofuterus_treatment.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Prolapse of Uterus Treatment". Medindia. May 21, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/prolapseofuterus_treatment.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Prolapse of Uterus Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/prolapseofuterus_treatment.htm. (accessed May 21, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Prolapse of Uterus Treatment. Medindia, viewed May 21, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/prolapseofuterus_treatment.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
28 years experience
Mangai Womens Health Exclusive, ANNANAGAR
10 years experience
Ram Murti Hospital, Katka padaw
16 years experience
Womens Choice Clinic, Anna Nagar
+ 1 more