Advantages and Disadvantages of Processed Foods()
Advantages of Processed Foods
Foods are usually processed to kill harmful bacteria or other microorganisms, to make them safer and for longer shelf life.
- Some processed foods like peanut butter, blueberry jam, home made cranberry juice, apple juice, grape juice, are healthy choices that can be harmless.
- Processed Foods are preserved in cans, bottles and jars that are airtight, so the food packed inside is free of bacteria.
- Processed foods are easy to get, as they are available in all seasons and at all stores.
- Processed foods like pre-cut vegetables and meat are quality convenience foods for busy people and for those who canít visit a faraway market to buy vegetables and meat.
Disadvantages of Processed Foods
- Food processing removes some of the nutrients, vitamins and fiber present in the food.
- Processed foods are obtained from laboratories and not nature. The foods are genetically modified and may cause gastrointestinal disorders, infertility and can damage your organs.
- Frequent intake of processed foods can make people become angry and irritable. Consumption of natural whole foods can help level out your mood, sustain energy levels and leave you feeling content and relaxed.
- The trans fats and sugar present in processed items can cause inflammation, an unhealthy condition that leads to asthma.
- Daily munching of processed foods promotes aging and kidney damage as they contain phosphates and genetically engineered ingredients.
- Convenience food - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convenience_food)
- Food Processing - (http://www.foodsystemprimer.org/food-processing/index.html)
- Salient Features of Packaging of Food Products - (https://www.scribd.com/document/318897189/Reading-Material-for-CII-Workshop-on-Food-Packaging-3-Aug-16)
- Semi Cooked Food - (https://fdocuments.us/document/project-semi-cooked-food.html)
- Canning - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning)
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Processed Foods - (https://www.lorecentral.org/2019/02/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-processed-foods.html)
- Food storage - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_storage)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Lari Warjri. (2019, October 28). Advantages and Disadvantages of Processed Foods / Convenience Foods. Medindia. Retrieved on May 19, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/processed-foods-advantages-and-disadvantages.htm.
Lari Warjri. "Advantages and Disadvantages of Processed Foods / Convenience Foods". Medindia. May 19, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/processed-foods-advantages-and-disadvantages.htm>.
Lari Warjri. "Advantages and Disadvantages of Processed Foods / Convenience Foods". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/processed-foods-advantages-and-disadvantages.htm. (accessed May 19, 2022).
Lari Warjri. 2021. Advantages and Disadvantages of Processed Foods / Convenience Foods. Medindia, viewed May 19, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/processed-foods-advantages-and-disadvantages.htm.
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
1 year experience
Dt.Dharanya s clinic, Arul Nagar
12 years experience
Health and Nutrify clinic, Serlingampally