Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult for presbycusis?

You can visit an audiologist, laryngologist or ENT specialist.

2. How is a hearing aid selected?

You should first consult an otolaryngologist (ENT specialist). He will conduct a hearing test and will evaluate your hearing ability. Then the audiologist conducts tests to find an appropriate aid, selecting one that maximizes a person's hearing and understanding of speech.

3. How does the cochlea help in hearing?

The cochlea, which is located in the inner ear, plays an important role in hearing. Inside the cochlea, there are tiny hairs, which are responsible for detecting and transmitting sounds to the brain. Age-related hearing loss, or presbycusis, occurs when these hair cells become damaged and cannot detect sounds.

Most Popular on Medindia