Pregnancy is the most beautiful phase in a woman's life. It brings about emotional and physiological changes as well as poses extra demands on the body. Good nutrition during pregnancy helps keep the mother and baby healthy.
In this phase the body needs extra nutrition for the developing fetus, pregnant woman herself and the lactation period to follow. These nutritional demands have to be met for a healthy child and mother. The diet before and during pregnancy should be rich in calories, proteins, vitamins and minerals. This need varies in the three trimesters.
The diet during pregnancy should comprise of fruit and vegetables, wholegrain breads and cereals, low-fat dairy foods and lean meats, chicken and fish (low in mercury), dried beans and lentils, and nuts and seeds.
A pregnant woman should avoid certain foods like unpasteurized milk, raw or uncooked meat, poultry, fish and eggs, alcohol and caffeine.
It is always advisable to eat 5-6 small meals each day, instead of 3 large ones. Avoid skipping meals as the baby needs regular sustenance, and the expectant mother also needs to keep up her energy levels. Having healthy snacks like salads, sandwiches, soups or fresh fruits between meals is also a good idea.
The baby needs healthy foods packed with nutrients and not empty calories such as those found in soft drinks, candies and desserts.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2020, February 13). Pregnancy and Diet/Diet during Pregnancy Healthy Foods, Foods to Avoid. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 08, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pregnancy-and-diet.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Pregnancy and Diet/Diet during Pregnancy Healthy Foods, Foods to Avoid". Medindia. Jun 08, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pregnancy-and-diet.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Pregnancy and Diet/Diet during Pregnancy Healthy Foods, Foods to Avoid". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pregnancy-and-diet.htm. (accessed Jun 08, 2023).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2020. Pregnancy and Diet/Diet during Pregnancy Healthy Foods, Foods to Avoid. Medindia, viewed Jun 08, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pregnancy-and-diet.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Pregnancy and Diet
- Are Lifestyle Interventions to Reduce Excessive Gestational Weight Gain Cost Effective? A Systematic Review. - Published by PubMed
- Altered molecular signatures during kidney development after intrauterine growth restriction of different origins. - Published by PubMed
- Chemical elements and preeclampsia - An overview of current problems, challenges and significance of recent research. - Published by PubMed
- Maternal Prenatal Exposures in Pregnancy and Autism Spectrum Disorder: An Insight into the Epigenetics of Drugs and Diet as Key Environmental Influences. - Published by PubMed
- Parenterally Delivered Methionyl-Methionine Dipeptide During Pregnancy Enhances Mammogenesis and Lactation Performance Over Free Methionine by Activating PI3K-AKT Signaling in Methionine-Deficient Mice. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Obstetrician and Gynaecologist (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
4 years experience
16 years experience
Vijaya Maternity Home and Metro IVF, New CG Road, Ahmedabad
40 years experience
Sai clinic, Near Rustomjee international School, Mumbai
10 years experience
Ayushveda, Himayath nagar, Hyderabad