Pre-abortion Assessment and Post-abortion Treatment
Before the abortion, the period of gestation should be confirmed.
When a woman comes to the clinic for an abortion, she should be offered counseling. Once she has decided to go ahead with the abortion, she will undergo an examination and some laboratory tests like urine and blood tests. An ultrasound may be recommended to check if the fetus is viable and to confirm the period of gestation. After informed consent is obtained, the abortion should be carried out without much delay to avoid complications in the woman. If the woman is Rh-negative, she should be administered Rh immune globulin following the procedure to prevent complications in later pregnancies.
Post procedure, a contraceptive in the form of intrauterine device (IUD) should be offered to the patient to reduce the requirement for repeated abortion.
The patient is instructed to avoid strenuous activity or the use of tampons for a few days following the abortion. She should also avoid sexual intercourse for 2 to 3 weeks.(4✔ ✔Trusted Source
Clinical Care for Women Undergoing Abortion
Go to source)
- What is Abortion? - (https://www.bpas.org/abortion-care/considering-abortion/what-is-abortion/)
- Abortion in India - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_India)
- Abortion (Termination of Pregnancy) - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/medical-tests-and-procedures/abortion-termination-of-pregnancy-a-to-z)
- Clinical Care for Women Undergoing Abortion - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK138188/)
- What Happens in Abortion - (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/abortion/what-happens/)
- Induced Abortion - (https://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq043.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20121007T1323563261)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2020, March 17). Pre-abortion Assessment and Post-abortion Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on May 21, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pre-abortion-assessment-and-post-abortion-treatment.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Pre-abortion Assessment and Post-abortion Treatment". Medindia. May 21, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pre-abortion-assessment-and-post-abortion-treatment.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Pre-abortion Assessment and Post-abortion Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pre-abortion-assessment-and-post-abortion-treatment.htm. (accessed May 21, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Pre-abortion Assessment and Post-abortion Treatment. Medindia, viewed May 21, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pre-abortion-assessment-and-post-abortion-treatment.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
4 years experience
Punarjjani womens health hospital , Ernakulam