Written by Dr. Kathy Jones | 
Medically Reviewed by Dr. Sunil Shroff, MBBS, MS, FRCS (UK), D. Urol (Lond) on Apr 20, 2016

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I see if my child has a very small lower jaw?

If your child has a very small lower jaw, it is very likely that there are some other associated malformations as well. You need to see an oral surgeon first, who will then direct you to other doctors depending on the severity of the condition.

2. How will I know if my child has heart problems as well?

You will be referred to a cardiologist if any heart disease symptoms are detected during the initial examination.

3. My child was intubated because of sever airway obstruction. How long will it be necessary for the tube to remain in place?

Generally, the growth of the lower jaw must be triggered during the first 12 months of life. If the doctor judges that enough space has been created for the tongue, then the tube may be removed.

4. What are the chances of my second child being affected by the condition?

Pierre-Robin syndrome is an autosomal recessive disorder. However, it does not necessarily affect all the newborns. One needs to go in for genetic counseling to be absolutely sure.


anwita Sunday, October 13, 2013

My daughter is diagnosed with PRS. She has soft palate. Can any suggest where can I have best medical facilities where she can be treated?

prabhatmishra1 Thursday, August 8, 2013

My daughter has been diagnosed with Pierre Robin Syndrome. She is 1 month old and is fed with Medela Special Needs Feeder. Please tell me about best medical facilities [Hospitals] in India where she can be treated for Pierre Robin Syndrome (Corrective Surgery for Chin, Cleft palate, airway obstruction).
Prabhat Mishra

Ali_xpire Thursday, October 27, 2011

my son age 14 months have a hole in his mouth upper roof please tell me there is any medicine for him or surgery is only solution

Komael_Husaini Saturday, August 29, 2009

Could anyone tell me that if I go for a cleft palate surgery at the age of 25 , then what will be the possibility of success.Also I want to tell you that because of my speech defect, I want to go for this operation.

guest Sunday, May 9, 2010

I would do it. Go to a dr specializing in this. Both my sons had theirs repaired and it worked wonderful! A doctor that does this all the time can tell you if there is a good possibility of it working.

tinagln Friday, May 8, 2009

Please advice
on the effect of Pierre Robin Syndrome long term
Eyes, Fine Motor skills, surgery carried out later for speech
any advice appriciated

Most Popular on Medindia