Functional Electrical Stimulation (F.E.S)
This kind of physiotherapy treatment involves use of low frequency cureent. Electrical stimulation is used to activate and train a muscle, which has lost its action or in training a muscle which has lost or 'forgotten' its action after an injury / surgery.
Modified Galvanic Current
In this treatment method the duration of current flow is long and continuous.
- Time duration - 10 - 200 milliseconds
- Frequency - 50 - 100 pulses/sec.
- Used in cases of severe nerve damage
Surged Faradic Current
- Shorter duration and intermittent flow of current
- Time duration - .01-1 millisecond
- Frequency - 50 cycles per/sec. Used in cases of partial nerve damage or nerve compression
- All Nerve injuries (like Radial nerve Injury of the arm or hand)
- Muscle weakness (To activate the muscle)
- Facial nerve Injury
Where should it not be used?
Individuals who have
- Recent cuts
- Open wounds
- Unhealed scars
- Recent fracture
- Metal plate fixation in their Body
- Skin infections
- Recent surgery
- Therapeutic Heat - (https://fadavispt.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=1932§ionid=141707499)
- Sample Records For Cryotherapy - (https://www.science.gov/topicpages/c/cryotherapy.html)
- Light Therapy - (https://accessphysiotherapy.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=2223§ionid=173788506)
- Contrast Bath Therapy - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_bath_therapy)
- Shortwave And Microwave Diathermy - (https://accessphysiotherapy.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=465§ionid=40195359)
- Ultrasonics - (https://www.encyclopedia.com/science-and-technology/physics/physics/ultrasonics)
- Therapeutic Massage Techniques - (https://www.physioblasts.org/f/public/1366280192_429_FT0_technique_of_massage.pdf)
- The Properties Of Water And Their Applications for Training - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4327375/)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2019, November 11). Types of Physiotherapy - Functional Electrical Stimulation. Medindia. Retrieved on May 25, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/physiotherapytypes_functional.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Types of Physiotherapy - Functional Electrical Stimulation". Medindia. May 25, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/physiotherapytypes_functional.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Types of Physiotherapy - Functional Electrical Stimulation". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/physiotherapytypes_functional.htm. (accessed May 25, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Types of Physiotherapy - Functional Electrical Stimulation. Medindia, viewed May 25, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/physiotherapytypes_functional.htm.