What is peptic ulcer?
A peptic ulcer is a sore on the lining of the stomach or duodenum. These are the parts of the gut where acid bathes the surface. One cause of peptic ulcer is bacterial infection by Helicobacter pylori, but some ulcers are also caused by long-term use of non steroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDs), like aspirin and ibuprofen. In a few cases, cancerous tumors in the stomach or pancreas can also cause ulcers.
"It is interesting to speculate as to what diagnoses were made in the cases of duodenal ulcers prior to our present knowledge." -William J. Mayo, 1915
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2014, September 10). Peptic Ulcer. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 07, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pepticulcer.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Peptic Ulcer". Medindia. Dec 07, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pepticulcer.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Peptic Ulcer". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pepticulcer.htm. (accessed Dec 07, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Peptic Ulcer. Medindia, viewed Dec 07, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pepticulcer.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Peptic Ulcer
- Helicobacter pylori elicits B7H3 expression on gastric epithelial cells: Implications in local T cell regulation and subset development during infection. - Published by PubMed
- Overtube assisted deployment of a lumen-apposing metal stent in the excluded stomach. - Published by PubMed
- Burden of Gastroduodenal Diseases from the Global Perspective. - Published by PubMed
- Retrospective study of TACE in the treatment of lobaplatin-induced thrombocytopenia in primary hepatocellular carcinoma. - Published by PubMed
- Corrigendum to "Laparoscopic repair of perforated peptic ulcer is not prognostic factor for 30-day mortality (a nationwide prospective cohort study)" [Int. J. Surg. 72 (2019) 47-54]. - Published by PubMed