General Info about Otitis Media
Otitis media is an infection of the middle ear (the space behind the eardrum). Ear infections are the most common illnesses in babies and young children. Otitis media usually occurs in children under 3 years of age. Actually three out of four children experience otitis media at some stage.
Boys tend to get ear infections more often than girls. There are two main types. The first type is called acute otitis media (AOM). This means that parts of the ear are infected and swollen. AOM can be painful. The second type is called otitis media with effusion (fluid), or OME. This means fluid and mucus stay trapped in the ear after the infection has gone.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2014, November 12). Otitis Media. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 05, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/otitismedia.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. " Otitis Media". Medindia. Dec 05, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/otitismedia.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. " Otitis Media". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/otitismedia.htm. (accessed Dec 05, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Otitis Media. Medindia, viewed Dec 05, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/otitismedia.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Otitis Media
- Comprehensive Assessment of Respiratory Complications in Patients with Common Variable Immunodeficiency. - Published by PubMed
- Panel 3: Genomics, precision medicine and targeted therapies. - Published by PubMed
- Determination of Biofilm-Forming Capacity of Otopathogens Isolated from Discharging Ears in Children with Chronic Otitis Media. - Published by PubMed
- Myringotomy and tube insertion combined with balloon eustachian tuboplasty for the treatment of otitis media with effusion in children. - Published by PubMed
- Transcutaneous immunization with a nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae dual adhesin-directed immunogen induces durable and boostable immunity. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist for your problem? Ask your question
4 years experience
Trishika ent care, seethamdhara, Visakhapatnam
21 years experience
20 years experience