How to Select Over-the-Counter (OTC) Drugs for Allergy
Selecting the right over-the-counter allergy (OTC) medication from the wide array of choices available at your local pharmacy/drug-store can be quite confusing. The right choice depends upon whether you have seasonal allergy, environmental allergy, food allergy, drug allergy or toxin allergy. You also need to know what drugs are available over-the-counter for allergy and which symptoms they treat.(1✔)
You should opt for over-the-counter medication only when you have a mild allergy. Severe cases of allergy have to be referred to a doctor. Ask your doctor before starting a medication if you are suffering from any other ailments or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Antihistamines containing the active ingredients brompheniramine maleate (Dimetane) or chlorpheniramine maleate (Chlor-Trimeton) may have drug interactions with certain drugs like tranquilizers and sedatives.
Here’s a list of commonly available OTC drugs for allergy.(2)
Decongestants – Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed), Oxymetazoline HCl (Afrin nasal spray), phenylephrine hydrochloride (Neo-Synephrine nasal spray).
Combination drugs (antihistamine + decongestant) – Pseudoephedrine-triprolidine (Actifed), chlorpheniramine maleate-pseudoephedrine sulfate (Chlor-Trimeton D), clemastine-phenylpropanolamine (Tavist D), acetaminophen-diphenhydramine HCl (Tylenol Allergy, Sinus), pheniramine maleate- naphazoline hydrochloride (0.025%) (Ocu-Hist or Visine-A eye drops).
Topical Corticosteroids – Cortaid.
Get only those allergy drugs that have worked for you earlier. Remember to check the active ingredient/s in the OTC allergy medicine you use.
Generally, over the counter drugs should not be used over long time. Consult a doctor if your allergy symptoms are new.
- Choosing an Over-The-Counter Allergy Medication - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/choosing-an-over-the-counter-allergy-medication)
- The Best Over-the-Counter Allergy Medications - (https://www.verywellhealth.com/choosing-over-the-counter-allergy-treatment-3859664)
- Popular Over-the-Counter Oral Antihistamine Brands - (https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/antihistamine-brands#second-and-thirdgeneration-brands)
- Decongestants: OTC Relief for Congestion - (https://familydoctor.org/decongestants-otc-relief-for-congestion/)
- What Is Pseudoephedrine? - (https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-pseudoephedrine-1192197)
- What is Hydrocortisone? - (https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/hydrocortisone)
Latest Publications and Research on Choose The Right Over-the-Counter Drugs for Allergy
- - Published by PubMed
- CD70-mediated CD27 expression downregulation contributed to the regulatory B10 cell impairment in rheumatoid arthritis. - Published by PubMed
- Hydro-Ethanolic Extract of Mentha pulegium Exhibit Anthelmintic and Antioxidant Proprieties In Vitro and In Vivo. - Published by PubMed
- Adverse Skin Reactions with Antiepileptic Drugs Using Korea Adverse Event Reporting System Database, 2008-2017. - Published by PubMed
- Recommendations for the Use of Tryptase in the Diagnosis of Anaphylaxis and Clonal Mastcell Disorders. - Published by PubMed