Over-the-Counter (OTC) Corticosteroids for Allergy
Hydrocortisone (Cortaid) is a cream-based over-the-counter allergic medicine used topically for various allergies.
Hydrocortisone is the active ingredient of the over-the-counter topical corticosteroid Cortaid. It can be used to treat allergies from insect bites, bee stings, poison ivy or oak allergy, allergy from metal toxins and other allergies. This OTC medicine is available in the form of cream and ointment.(6What is Hydrocortisone?
Go to source)
Indications – Red itchy skin, psoriasis, rash and hives.
Contraindications – Discontinue and seek medical help if the condition persists or worsens after 7 days.
Dosage – Apply to the affected areas as a thin film 2 to 4 times a day depending upon severity of the allergic reaction.
Precautions and Warnings:
- Do not use this medication on face or underarms unless directed by the physician to do so.
- Wash and dry your hands before using.
- Use it cautiously during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Always consult your doctor before using it to treat allergic reactions in children.
- Choosing an Over-The-Counter Allergy Medication - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/choosing-an-over-the-counter-allergy-medication)
- The Best Over-the-Counter Allergy Medications - (https://www.verywellhealth.com/choosing-over-the-counter-allergy-treatment-3859664)
- Popular Over-the-Counter Oral Antihistamine Brands - (https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/antihistamine-brands#second-and-thirdgeneration-brands)
- Decongestants: OTC Relief for Congestion - (https://familydoctor.org/decongestants-otc-relief-for-congestion/)
- What Is Pseudoephedrine? - (https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-pseudoephedrine-1192197)
- What is Hydrocortisone? - (https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/hydrocortisone)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Mita Majumdar. (2019, November 18). Over-the-Counter (OTC) Corticosteroids for Allergy. Medindia. Retrieved on May 27, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/otc-drugs-for-allergy-steroids.htm.
Mita Majumdar. "Over-the-Counter (OTC) Corticosteroids for Allergy". Medindia. May 27, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/otc-drugs-for-allergy-steroids.htm>.
Mita Majumdar. "Over-the-Counter (OTC) Corticosteroids for Allergy". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/otc-drugs-for-allergy-steroids.htm. (accessed May 27, 2022).
Mita Majumdar. 2021. Over-the-Counter (OTC) Corticosteroids for Allergy. Medindia, viewed May 27, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/otc-drugs-for-allergy-steroids.htm.