Oral Health & AIDS - Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I see if I have AIDS?

Your physician is the first doctor that you should consult. In case the oral symptoms are causing mush distress, you can consult your dentist for symptomatic relief of the same.

2. Does Oral Hairy Leukoplakia occur in any other condition?

No. Till date, OHL has been exclusively associated with AIDS and is an indicator that the individual is on the road to developing the full-blown version of the same.

3. What about Candidiasis?

Candidiasis is basically a fungal infection and in cases where no other reason for its occurrence can be discerned, it is almost always due to AIDS.

4. What precautions must be taken to avoid gum disease in AIDS?

It is said that a clean tooth never decays. Hence, the best way to prevent the impact of gum disease in AIDS is to keep the teeth as clean as possible. Brush twice daily and use an anti-bacterial mouthwash to gargle after every meal so that food particles do not get stuck between the teeth.

Most Popular on Medindia