Obstructive Sleep Apnea - Overview
Obstructive Sleep Apnea was called the 'Pickwickian syndrome' in the past because Joe, the fat boy, described in 'The Pickwick Papers' by Charles Dickens, had typical features such as
Obstructive Sleep Apnea(OSA) is a sleep- related breathing disorder in which there is repeated obstruction to the upper airway, while the person is sleeping.
'Apnea', which means 'without breath' in Greek , causes its victims to repeatedly stop breathing during their
A drop in the oxygen saturation can harm both the heart and the brain and can be dangerous to a person's health. The process of obstruction can lead to poor quality of sleep, waking up in the night and increased sleepiness during daytime and at work. This impacts the quality of life negatively. Besides this snoring can keep the partner awake.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Anitha Paderla. (2021, July 28). Obstructive Sleep Apnea - Overview. Medindia. Retrieved on Feb 01, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/obstructive-sleep-apnea.htm.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Obstructive Sleep Apnea - Overview". Medindia. Feb 01, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/obstructive-sleep-apnea.htm>.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Obstructive Sleep Apnea - Overview". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/obstructive-sleep-apnea.htm. (accessed Feb 01, 2023).
Dr. Anitha Paderla. 2021. Obstructive Sleep Apnea - Overview. Medindia, viewed Feb 01, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/obstructive-sleep-apnea.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- In-Home Diagnosis of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Using Automatic Video Analysis. - Published by PubMed
- The association between sleep and diabetes outcomes - a systematic review. - Published by PubMed
- Effects of the Combination of Atomoxetine and Oxybutynin on Obstructive Sleep Apnea Endotypic Traits. - Published by PubMed
- Feature Extraction of Upper Airway Dynamics during Sleep Apnea using Electrical Impedance Tomography. - Published by PubMed
- Effect of Obstructive Sleep Apnea on Neurocognitive Performance. - Published by PubMed