Nursing Home Care was initiated with the noble intention of looking after people who needed constant care and medical attention in a safe and clean environment. Sometimes known as Skilled Nursing Unit or Care Home or Rest Home, is a nursing home care that has in-house licensed medical practitioners such as doctors, nurses and therapist for residential patients. The residential medical facility performs multiple functions catering to the needs of the patients. Hence both short-term and long-term institutionalization and rehabilitation for patients are available.
"It is common for rural hospitals and nursing homes to operate as a single unit in order to take advantage of savings related to cost-sharing of some services and staff." - Rick Renzi
Patients with different needs require home care. Generally the elderly, the physically and mentally challenged and the critically and terminally ill patients are admitted for nursing home care. These patients cannot be retained at home for reasons such as requirement of medical supervision by specialists or need for medical equipment such as respiratory units. Sometimes patient may be ailing with contagious or recurring sickness and it is not advisable for other members of the family such as children to get affected or to even be witness to such ailments. The most responsible yet hard decision to make will be to hand over your loved ones to medical experts for such long or short-term care.
Latest Publications and Research on Nursing Home Care
- Measuring next of kin's experience of participation in the care of older people in nursing homes. - Published by PubMed
- Home Health Nursing Job Satisfaction and Retention: Meeting the Growing Need for Home Health Nurses. - Published by PubMed
- Hygiene and emollient interventions for maintaining skin integrity in older people in hospital and residential care settings. - Published by PubMed
- Using Geographic Information System Mapping in Emergency Management: Expanding the Role of Nurses in Home Based Primary Care. - Published by PubMed
- Physical restraining of nursing home residents in the last week of life: An epidemiological study in six European countries. - Published by PubMed