Muscular Dystrophy - Overview
Muscular dystrophy is the collective term used to represent genetic disorders characterized by progressive weakening of muscles and wasting of
Several forms of muscular dystrophy exist, that differ on the basis of clinical symptoms, disease severity and the way in which the disease is transmitted form one generation to the other.
The three most important forms of muscular dystrophy include:
- Duchenne Muscular dystrophy (DMD)
- Facioscapulohumeral dystrophy,
- Myotonic Dystrophy
- Basic Human Genetics - Elaine Johansen Mange & Arthur P. Mange
- Medical Genetics - Lynn B. Jorde, John C. Carey, Raymond L. White
- Muscular Dystrophy - (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/musculardystrophy.html)
- Muscular Dystrophy Information Page - (http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/md/md.htm)
Latest Publications and Research on Muscular Dystrophy
- INAD and Duchenne muscular dystrophy, two ends of the iPLA2ß spectrum. - Published by PubMed
- Updating the Clinical Picture of Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy: Ramifications for Drug Development With Potential Solutions. - Published by PubMed
- Mechanical factors tune the sensitivity of mdx muscle to eccentric strength loss and its protection by antioxidant and calcium modulators. - Published by PubMed
- Clinical and genetic characterization of limb girdle muscular dystrophy R7 telethonin-related patients from three unrelated Chinese families. - Published by PubMed
- Biotechnological, biomedical, and agronomical applications of plant protease inhibitors with high stability: A systematic review. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Varshini Jayaraman. (2016, April 30). Muscular Dystrophy / Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - Overview. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 29, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/musculardystrophy.htm.
Dr. Varshini Jayaraman. "Muscular Dystrophy / Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - Overview". Medindia. Jun 29, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/musculardystrophy.htm>.
Dr. Varshini Jayaraman. "Muscular Dystrophy / Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - Overview". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/musculardystrophy.htm. (accessed Jun 29, 2022).
Dr. Varshini Jayaraman. 2021. Muscular Dystrophy / Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - Overview. Medindia, viewed Jun 29, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/musculardystrophy.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Pediatrician for your problem? Ask your question
12 years experience
12 years experience
1 year experience
15 years experience