Frequently Asked Questions
You should see a general physician.
2. When can the disease cause sterility?
Sterility can be caused in men if testis is involved on both the sides.
3. How to prevent mumps?
Mumps is preventable by immunization. All children should be vaccinated to protect themselves and others from mumps. The mumps vaccine is part of the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine series given to children beginning at 12 months of age. As is the case with all immunizations, there are important exceptions and special circumstances.
4. How common is mumps?
Before a vaccine was available, nearly every child got mumps. Now the number is much lower. However, children who are not immunized are still very likely to get the disease.
5. What are the complications of mumps?
Severe complications are rare. However, mumps can cause -
- Hearing loss
- Inflammation of the brain (encephalitis)
- Inflammation of the coverings of the brain and spinal cord (meningitis)
- Swollen, painful testicles