An echocardiogram is confirmatory of the diagnosis. MVP is not life-threatening in most of the cases and may not require treatment.
Other Names - Barlow's Syndrome, Floppy Valve Syndrome and Ballooning Mitral Valve Syndrome.
The mitral valve controls the flow of blood between two chambers of the heart called the left atrium and the left ventricle. Blood flow has to occur only in one direction (from the atrium to the ventricle). In mitral valve prolapse (MVP) the valve fails to close properly. The flaps of this valve bulge (prolapsed) upward or back into the atrium during contraction of the ventricle. This may lead to leakage of blood backward into the left atrium.
Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) is a relatively common but highly varying clinical syndrome. MVP is more common in females especially those between the ages of 15 and 30 years.
Older people (commonly males) above 50 years may also be affected. MVP is not life-threatening in most of the cases and may not requirement treatment.
- Cecil Medicine, 23rd Ed.
- Harrison's PRINCIPLES OF INTERNAL MEDICINE, 17TH Edition
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Nithin Jayan. (2018, July 06). Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Causes - Symptoms and Complications, Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on Nov 30, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/mitral-valve-prolapse.htm.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Causes - Symptoms and Complications, Treatment". Medindia. Nov 30, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/mitral-valve-prolapse.htm>.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Causes - Symptoms and Complications, Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/mitral-valve-prolapse.htm. (accessed Nov 30, 2022).
Dr. Nithin Jayan. 2021. Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Causes - Symptoms and Complications, Treatment. Medindia, viewed Nov 30, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/mitral-valve-prolapse.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Comparative pathology of human and canine myxomatous mitral valve degeneration: 5HT and TGF-ß mechanisms. - Published by PubMed
- How to create patient-specific loops for correcting mitral valve prolapse through a minimally invasive approach. - Published by PubMed
- A single nucleotide deletion resulting in a frameshift in exon 4 of TAB2 is associated with a polyvalular syndrome. - Published by PubMed
- A novel TAB2 nonsense mutation (p.S149X) causing autosomal dominant congenital heart defects: a case report of a Chinese family. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a Cardiologist for your problem? Ask your question
8 years experience
21 years experience
Apoorva Superspeciality Medical Centre, Jayanagar, Bangalore