Frequently Asked Questions
You must consult a physician.
2. Is it possible to prevent leptospirosis?
Yes, it is possible to prevent leptospirosis. Since these bacteria commonly infects domestic animals such as dogs and livestock; better standards of personal hygiene, wearing footwear and elimination of the animals reservoir may help reducing the incidence of the disease.
Following are essential measures for prevention of leptospirosis-
- Protected water supply to all
- Proper collection, transport, treatment and secured disposal of garbage
- Drinking boiled water
- Disinfection of contaminated work areas
- Providing proper protective clothing, shoes, gloves, etc. to high-risk Occupational groups
- Prohibition of recreation activities in contaminated waters
- Effective rodent control measures
- Proper collection, treatment and secured disposal of animal excreta
- Improving occupational hygiene standards in cattle farms
- Proper disposal of dead and infected animals
3. Can leptospirosis be prevented with a vaccine?
A vaccine for leptospirosis is available and used in some countries of Europe and Asia. It must be given every year. A longer-acting vaccine is under investigation.