What are the causes of Lactation Mastitis?
The two main causes for lactation mastitis is
- Milk stasis
- Microbial Infection
Milk Stasis (Stagnation of Milk):
- Milk stasis is the primary cause for development of lactation mastitis, which may or may not be accompanied with infection.
- Milk stasis results from stagnation of milk within the breast due to inefficient removal of milk.
- Infection may also occur in Milk stasis as the stagnant milk may provide a good nutrient supply for the growth of bacteria.
- Lactation mastitis may occur when the breasts are filled with milk soon after delivery and milk is not removed by the infant from the breast, which may be due to:
- Poor attachment of the infant to the breast
- Ineffective suckling
- Restriction of frequency or duration of feeds
- Blockage in milk ducts
- Increased milk supply
Common microorganisms found in mastitis
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Staphylococcus albus
- Streptococcus species
- Escherichia coli
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2016, February 06). Lactation Mastitis - Causes. Medindia. Retrieved on May 27, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/lacationmastitis_causes.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Lactation Mastitis - Causes". Medindia. May 27, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/lacationmastitis_causes.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Lactation Mastitis - Causes". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/lacationmastitis_causes.htm. (accessed May 27, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Lactation Mastitis - Causes. Medindia, viewed May 27, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/lacationmastitis_causes.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
4 years experience
Punarjjani womens health hospital , Ernakulam
16 years experience
Womens Choice Clinic, Anna Nagar
+ 1 more
11 years experience
Delhi IVF And Fertility Research Centre, Bengali Market