Labor and Delivery
God's interest in the human race is nowhere better evinced than in obstetrics.~ Martin H. Fischer
Childbirth is one of the most marvelous and memorable segment in a woman's life. It does not really matter if the child is the first, second or the third one. Each experience is unique and calls for a celebration. The fear and anxiety about childbirth often prevents most women from enjoying this experience. However, an adequate knowledge about signs of labor and labor and delivery in general can impart a feeling of confidence and a sense of emotional well being, very crucial in ensuring a successful labor. It is very important to communicate hopes or fears about labor and delivery with your doctor, based on which critical decisions can be made in the best interest of the mother and child.
“My mother groaned, my father wept, into the dangerous world I leapt.” ~William Blake
Childbirth is a process by which the baby inside the womb adjusts itself to its surroundings and passes out of the uterus to be born as a new individual in the world. Adequate and appropriate care taken during the antenatal period reflects on the conduct and outcome of the labor.
Cervical ripening helps the cervix soften and thins out in preparation for labor. Medications or devices can be used to soften the cervix.
- Mudaliar and Menon's Obstetrics - www.babycentre.co.uk
Latest Publications and Research on Labor and Delivery / Pregnancy Labor
- Effects of normal pregnancy on maternal EEG, TCD, and cerebral cortical volume. - Published by PubMed
- Term spontaneous trial of labor in nulliparous women of short stature: A hospitals-based cohort study. - Published by PubMed
- Instruments measuring pregnant women's expectations of labor and childbirth: A systematic review. - Published by PubMed
- Obstetric fistula in southern Mozambique: a qualitative study on women's experiences of care pregnancy, delivery and post-partum. - Published by PubMed
- TRAAP2 - TRAnexamic Acid for Preventing postpartum hemorrhage after cesarean delivery: a multicenter randomized, doubleblind, placebo- controlled trial - a study protocol. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Vivekanand. (2018, October 10). Labor-Introduction. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/labor.htm.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Labor-Introduction". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/labor.htm>.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Labor-Introduction". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/labor.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Dr. Vivekanand. 2021. Labor-Introduction. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/labor.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
12 years experience
apollo hospital, navi mumbai
3 years experience
Neo mother and child care clinic, Khurram nagar