These are pen-like insulin delivery devices. They look very similar to an insulin pen, but do not have a needle. They deliver a small jet of insulin under high pressure at the push of a button. Once it is loaded to the desired dose, it has to be
Thus, unlike a
- It is less painful since a needle is not used
- It has better acceptance among patients than the pen.
- It can be carried anywhere.
- Disposing the pens or needles is effortless as there are no needles.
- It is fairly expensive
- It cannot be used by slim people or by the visually impaired individuals
- It may cause bruising in some individuals
- It is not recommended for those taking anti-coagulants, or for those on dialysis or individuals with hemophilia
- Some feel that it causes more pain than regular needles
- Sterilizing and preparing for the dose is time consuming