"O Sleep, O Gentle Sleep.
Natures self nurse, how have I freighted thee,
That thou no more will weigh my eyelids down
And sleep my senses in forgetfulness."- Shakespeare
It has been considered that the playwright's clear descriptions of insomnia suggest that he himself suffered from this malady
Insomnia means getting insufficient sleep which can be in the form of difficulty in falling asleep or difficulty in maintaining sleep. Insomnia is just a symptom, like fever, and is not a disease by itself. Diseases that can disturb sleep, like pain or anxiety usually cause insomnia.
Everyone goes through occasional phases of insomnia which resolves once the causative factor has been dealt with. Problems arise if insomnia continues to persist which can have deleterious effects on one's health. Inadequate sleep can cause daytime sleepiness, which can affect one's productivity at work and may also increase the chances of motor vehicle accidents due to fatigue and impaired concentration.
Latest Publications and Research on Insomnia
- Renshen Shouwu extract enhances neurogenesis and angiogenesis via inhibition of TLR4/NF¬?B/NLRP3 signaling pathway following ischemic stroke in rats. - Published by PubMed
- Effects of Exercise on Sleep Quality in Pregnant Women:A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. - Published by PubMed
- Enhanced production of 5-hydroxytryptophan through the regulation of L-tryptophan biosynthetic pathway. - Published by PubMed
- The Wide-Ranging Spectrum of Cough-Induced Complications and Patient Harm. - Published by PubMed
- [Restless legs syndrome]. - Published by PubMed