Infertility is defined as the biological inability of a person to conceive a child.
A couple may be considered infertile if, the woman is unable to become pregnant despite two years of regular sexual intercourse, without contraception.
Types of Infertility-
- Primary Infertility- Refers to the infertility in a couple who have never had a child.
- Secondary Infertility- Refers to failure to conceive following a previous pregnancy.
Infertility can be due to hormonal imbalance, sexually transmitted diseases, smoking, alcoholism or certain medications, but often there is no obvious underlying cause.
About 85-90% of infertility cases can be treated with conventional medical therapies such as medication or surgery. Treatment depends on the cause of infertility for couple. It may range from simple education and counseling, to the use of medicines that treat infections or promote ovulation, to highly sophisticated medical procedures such as in-vitro fertilization.
Although infertility itself does not cause physical illness, the psychological impact of infertility upon individuals or couples affected by it may be severe. Marital problems, including divorce, individual depression and anxiety are common. These problems can be treated with psychiatric counseling.
What is New in Infertility?
Men with low sperm count were found to be 1.2 times more likely to have greater body mass index (BMI), higher blood pressure, more "bad" (LDL) cholesterol, lower "good" (HDL) cholesterol, in a new study. Half the men with low testosterone had osteoporosis or low bone mass, a possible precursor to osteoporosis, as found on a bone density scan.
Latest Publications and Research on Infertility
- Role of sorting nexin PaATG24 in autophagy, aging and development of Podospora anserina. - Published by PubMed
- Generation of an iPSC line (HUSTi002-A) from fibroblasts of a patient with Sertoli cell-only syndrome carrying c.731_732delAT in PIWIL2 gene. - Published by PubMed
- Breast cancer: an update on treatment-related infertility. - Published by PubMed
- Fertility preservation in breast cancer with case-based examples for guidance. - Published by PubMed
- Patient perceptions of misdiagnosis of endometriosis: results from an online national survey. - Published by PubMed