Indigestion or dyspepsia is referred to nonspecific symptoms or discomfort that causes persistent pain or fullness in the upper abdomen, soon after the meal starts and causes symptoms related to digestive system and may requie specific treatment including drugs that reduce gastric acid, stimulate motility, or decrease gastric sensitivity.
The word dyspepsia comes from Latin or from Greek duspepsia, from dys- + pepsis digestion.
What is indigestion? What are the symptoms?
Indigestion or dyspepsia is referred to as nonspecific symptoms or discomfort characterized by features like:
- Persistent or recurrent pain in the upper abdomen/ lower chest pain
- Feeling of fullness soon after the meal starts. The individual can’t finish the meal.
- Feel of excessive fullness following a meal, like the food is staying in the stomach too long
- Bloating, belching, flatulence
- Anorexia, nausea, vomiting
Indigestion is common in adults. It has to be understood that heartburn is distinct from dyspepsia. It is a painful and burning feel in the chest that radiates towards the neck or back. Heartburn is caused by stomach acid rising into the food pipe (the
The prevalence of indigestion or dyspepsia is about 25%.
- Cecil Medicine, 23rd Ed.
- Harrison's PRINCIPLES OF INTERNAL MEDICINE, 17THEdition
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Nithin Jayan. (2019, October 22). Indigestion or Dyspepsia - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 07, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/indigestion.htm.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Indigestion or Dyspepsia - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment". Medindia. Dec 07, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/indigestion.htm>.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Indigestion or Dyspepsia - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/indigestion.htm. (accessed Dec 07, 2022).
Dr. Nithin Jayan. 2021. Indigestion or Dyspepsia - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment. Medindia, viewed Dec 07, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/indigestion.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Indigestion
- Ascites in a young male: idiopathic FIP1L1-PDGFRA-negative hypereosinophilic syndrome. - Published by PubMed
- Health benefits and risks during 10 years after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. - Published by PubMed
- Metronidazole-resistant Helicobacter pylori isolates without rdxA mutations obtained from Iranian dyspeptic patients. - Published by PubMed
- The Potential of Integrated Nurse-Led Models to Improve Care for People With Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders: A Systematic Review. - Published by PubMed
- D-methionine improves cisplatin-induced anorexia and dyspepsia syndrome by attenuating intestinal tryptophan hydroxylase 1 activity and increasing plasma leptin concentration. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a Gastroenterologist for your problem? Ask your question
5 years experience
11 years experience
Alchemist Hospital, Panchkula