Preparing Patient for Surgery
1. Informed consent- written consent is obtained from the patient prior to performing the surgery.
2. It is recommended that the patient take nothing by mouth (food, water, etc.) for at least 6 hours before the scheduled operation or after midnight if the operation is planned in the first few hours of the morning.
3. Painkillers and antibiotics may be prescribed before the procedure.
4. A sedative maybe useful to relieve the anxiety of surgery.
5. The Abdomen and genital area maybe shaved and prepared for the surgery.
6. Before surgery or during the previous night a bath maybe advisable. During the bath thorough cleaning of the abdomen and genital area with soap and water a few times can help in lowering the bacterial count and lessen the chances of any infection from surgery.
On the evening before the operation a light, easily digestible meal is advised to reduce the risk of vomiting and aspiration (inhaling fluids) while under anesthesia.