How is Bone Marrow Biopsy Performed?
Bone marrow biopsy is performed in a hospital under local anesthesia.
Procedure of bone marrow biopsy -
- The skin over the biopsy site is cleaned with an antiseptic solution and local anesthesia is injected to numb the area.
- The biopsy needle is inserted through the skin and into the bone to reach the bone marrow. Usually, the sample is taken from the pelvic or breast bone. Sometimes, other areas may be used.
- Once inside the bone, the center portion of the needle is removed and the hollowed needle is moved deeper into the bone. Due to this manipulation a tiny sample, or core, of bone marrow is captured within the needle.
- The sample and needle are removed.
- Pressure and bandage are applied to the biopsy site.
Procedure of bone marrow aspiration
Sometimes, bone marrow aspiration may be performed before the biopsy is taken. After cleaning and numbing the skin, the biopsy needle is inserted into the bone, and a syringe is used to withdraw the liquid bone marrow.
If bone marrow aspiration is done, the needle is either repositioned, or another needle may be used for the biopsy.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 23). How is Bone Marrow Biopsy Performed?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 23, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-is-bone-marrow-biopsy-performed.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "How is Bone Marrow Biopsy Performed?". Medindia. May 23, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-is-bone-marrow-biopsy-performed.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "How is Bone Marrow Biopsy Performed?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-is-bone-marrow-biopsy-performed.htm. (accessed May 23, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. How is Bone Marrow Biopsy Performed?. Medindia, viewed May 23, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-is-bone-marrow-biopsy-performed.htm.