How do Teratogenic Drugs cause Birth Defects?
Teratogenic drugs can cause birth defects by-
- Damaging the fetus directly
- Damaging the placenta or umbilical cord, thus increasing the risk of birth defects
- Causing uterine contractions that can injure the fetus or cause premature delivery
The kind, nature and frequency of birth defects caused by a teratogen depends on-
- The property of the drug
- Rate and amount of drug reaching the fetus
- Duration of exposure
- Stage of the fetal development at the time of exposure
- Effect of other drugs used in combination
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2016, April 22). How do Teratogenic Drugs cause Birth Defects?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 19, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-do-teratogenic-drugs-cause-birth-defects.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "How do Teratogenic Drugs cause Birth Defects?". Medindia. May 19, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-do-teratogenic-drugs-cause-birth-defects.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "How do Teratogenic Drugs cause Birth Defects?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-do-teratogenic-drugs-cause-birth-defects.htm. (accessed May 19, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. How do Teratogenic Drugs cause Birth Defects?. Medindia, viewed May 19, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-do-teratogenic-drugs-cause-birth-defects.htm.