How can we Diagnose Anemia?
Anemia can be diagnosed by physical examination and certain blood tests.
Physical examination includes:
- Auscultation of the heart- Heart murmur can be heard in severe cases of anemia
- Low blood pressure (when the patient stands up)
- Pale skin color
- Pulse rate- Tachycardia is seen in patients with anemia
- The following blood tests are carried out for proper diagnosis:
- Complete blood count
- Hemoglobin level
- Red blood cell count may be normal or decreased
- Peripheral blood smear shows pale small cells
- Blood levels of certain vitamins and minerals- iron, folic acid and vitamin B12