How can Varicose Veins be Treated?
The goal of the treatment is to improve blood flow back up to the heart.
Medical treatment is not required for most varicose vein patients unless problems like deep-vein blood clot or severe bleeding occur.
The conservative treatment involves -
- Avoid standing for prolonged periods
- Elevate the legs while sitting
- Exercising and walking every day is highly recommended
- Wear elastic support stockings
Medical treatment involves -
- Sclerotherapy is used to treat smaller varicose veins. This is a minor procedure where a chemical is injected into the veins and results in scarring of the vein. This forces the blood to detour to healthier veins. The doctor might place an elastic stocking around the treated leg to reduce bruising and bleeding. The risks of sclerotherapy are brown spots at the injection site and clots in superficial veins. There may also be a reaction to the injected chemical and new smaller veins may form.
- Stripping or vein removal is used to remove larger varicose veins. This is a hospital procedure-requiring anesthesia. Parts of the vein are removed or tied off, or the entire vein can be removed. Swelling may occur and can last 6-8 weeks. The risks of stripping are possible bruising, bleeding or formation of new varicose veins.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2019, November 28). How can Varicose Veins be Treated?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 23, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-varicose-veins-be-treated.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "How can Varicose Veins be Treated?". Medindia. May 23, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-varicose-veins-be-treated.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "How can Varicose Veins be Treated?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-varicose-veins-be-treated.htm. (accessed May 23, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. How can Varicose Veins be Treated?. Medindia, viewed May 23, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-varicose-veins-be-treated.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
20 years experience
Telemedicine, Jp nagar