How can Presbycusis be Treated?
The strategies to help people with presbycusis are -
- Hearing aids may be recommended for some individuals.
- Telephone amplifiers and other assistive listening devices can provide further improvement in hearing ability in certain situations.
- Training in speech reading (using visual cues to determine what is being spoken) can help to understand better what is being said in conversations.
- Cochlear implants are done for younger people with hearing loss.
- Majority of people with autoimmune hearing loss recover substantial amounts of the loss with corticosteroid and other anti-immune treatments.
- Patients are advised to wear earplugs or special fluid-filled earmuffs to prevent further damage to hearing.