How can Leptospirosis be Treated?
Antibiotics are used to treat leptospirosis.
If antibiotics are started within the first four days of illness, it helps reduce the complications of the disease.
Treatment of severe leptospirosis-
- Penicillin- Penicillin is the drug of choice in severe leptospirosis. It is administered intravenously for 10-14 days.
- Hemodialysis may be needed in case of renal failure.
- Blood transfusion or platelet transfusion may be required in patients with Weil’s disease.
- Hospitalization with supportive therapy may be required in patients with multiple organ failure.
Treatment of mild to moderate cases of leptospirosis-
- Doxycycline in a dosage of 100 mg twice daily for 7 days
Prophylaxis of leptospirosis-
Doxycycline, 200 mg orally once weekly, during the risk of exposure provides effective prophylaxis.