How can Heat Stroke be Treated?
Heat stroke victims must receive immediate treatment to avoid permanent organ damage. Cooling the victim is the most important thing.
Except for mild cases, patients of heat stroke should be admitted to a hospital and treated immediately to avoid permanent organ damage.
Following steps should be undertaken for treating heatstroke-
- Cooling efforts should be undertaken immediately and should be continued till the body temperature reaches 102°F. Loosen the patient’s clothes so as to allow active air circulation. Apply cool or tepid water to the skin. Fan the victim to promote sweating and evaporation. Place ice packs under armpits and groin. The patient can also be given ice water baths so as to bring down the body temperature. More aggressive cooling measures like intravenous hydration, lavage (gastric/peritoneal/rectal) with iced saline and hemodialysis to cool the blood can be provided in a hospital.
- Massage the body and limbs in order to improve the blood circulation within the body.
- Benzodiazepines should be given to relieve delirium, shivering and agitation.
- Drugs to treat epileptic fits are administered, if the need arises.
- Shock is treated by supplying the body with sufficient fluids and by administering drugs, which increases the efficiency of the heart.