Treatment for Cystitis
Antibiotics are recommended because there is a risk that the infection can spread to the kidneys.
Treatment of cystitis include-
- Antibiotics- Antibiotics are recommended because there is a risk that the infection can spread to the kidneys. Commonly used antibiotics include trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, doxycycline and fluoroquinolones.
- Drugs to relieve the burning pain and urgent need to urinate- Phenazopyridine hydrochloride (Pyridium) is most commonly used for this purpose.
- Painkillers- Paracetamol or ibuprofen may help with the discomfort. In case of pain in the abdomen, wrapping a hot water bottle in a towel and putting it next to one’s skin without burning it could be of some help. If the pain is excruciating, it is advisable to take a mild pain killer.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Try and drink a glass of water every half an hour. Drinking lot of water will wash out the germs from the system. If drinking plain water is difficult then milk, weak tea or orange squash can be an option but one should avoid fizzy drinks. Drinking a lot will make going to the toilet more frequent and would cause a stinging sensation initially but as the urine gets diluted the stinging will start going away.
- Do not consume alcohol.
- Alkalizing the urine helps to eradicate the germs and also soothe the bladder. Using bicarbonate of soda, 5ml (1 tea spoon) in half a glass of water, two or three times a day, makes the urine less acidic and this stops the bacteria from multiplying. It soothes the urine passage and relieves the burning.
- Cranberry juice prevents recurrences and also provides relief of symptoms during an attack. It has condensed tannins, Manoose - D and proanthocyanidins which inhibit the activity of E. coli by preventing the bacteria from sticking to mucosal surfaces lining the bladder and gut and help to clear bacteria from the urinary tract.
- Refrain from sexual activity during an infection.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2021, July 28). Treatment for Cystitis. Medindia. Retrieved on May 27, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-cystitis-be-treated.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Treatment for Cystitis". Medindia. May 27, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-cystitis-be-treated.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Treatment for Cystitis". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-cystitis-be-treated.htm. (accessed May 27, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Treatment for Cystitis. Medindia, viewed May 27, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-cystitis-be-treated.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Urologist for your problem? Ask your question
12 years experience
The Mission city center clinic, City Centre
+ 1 more
24 years experience
Aarogyam speciality Hospital , NAVRANGPURA
6 years experience
Ashtavinayak Hospital, New Panvel
+ 1 more