Treatment of Anxiety Disorder
A combination of medicine and cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) works best for patients with anxiety disorder.
Medications that may be used include -
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are the choice of drugs for treating anxiety disorders.
- Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) can also be used.
- Antidepressants and some anti-seizure drugs can be used in severe cases.
- Benzodiazepines such as alprazolam, clonazepam and lorazepam may be used for short-term if antidepressants do not help enough with symptoms. Long-term use can lead to dependence.
- A medicine called buspirone may also be used.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy -
It helps the patient understand his behavior and how to gain control over it. During the therapy a trained mental health professional helps the patient with -
- Understanding and gaining control of his distorted views of life stressors, such as other people's behavior or life events.
- Recognizing and replacing panic-causing thoughts.
- Decreasing the sense of helplessness.
- Managing stress and relaxing when symptoms occur.
- Avoid thinking that minor worries will develop into severe problems.
Progressive relaxation therapy -
- Tensing and relaxing individual muscle groups
- Deep breathing exercises
Dietary and lifestyle changes -
- Avoid caffeine and illicit drugs.
- Exercise, rest and good nutrition can help reduce the impact of anxiety.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 24). Treatment of Anxiety Disorder. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 05, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-anxiety-disorder-be-treated.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Treatment of Anxiety Disorder". Medindia. Dec 05, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-anxiety-disorder-be-treated.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Treatment of Anxiety Disorder". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-anxiety-disorder-be-treated.htm. (accessed Dec 05, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Treatment of Anxiety Disorder. Medindia, viewed Dec 05, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-anxiety-disorder-be-treated.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Psychiatrist for your problem? Ask your question
12 years experience
7 years experience
Jharmari, Near park hospital , Jharmari
3 years experience
Sugham Health Centre , Near Tirunelveli junction , Tirunelveli
1 year experience