How can Allergy be Treated?
The best way to prevent an allergic reaction is to avoid exposure to the allergen.
Treatment and prevention of allergies involves:
- Avoid allergens.
- Slight reactions with mild symptoms usually respond to oral antihistamines like loratidine, cetirizine, fexofenadine or diphenhydramine.
- Nasal corticosteroid sprays are prescribed for nasal symptoms not relieved by antihistamines.
- Epinephrine is used in severe reactions (anaphylaxis).
- An anti-inflammatory steroid cream such as hydrocortisone can be used for skin rashes. Small, localized skin reactions can be relieved by using a cold, wet cloth or ice for relief.
- Patients with severe reactions may require hospitalization. In case of anaphylactic shock, other therapies are needed like oxygen for breathing difficulties or intravenous fluids to boost blood pressure.
- Immunotherapy- Allergy shots are given to people with persistent and disruptive allergy symptoms. Allergens are injected in the body to desensitize the body's response. These shots do not treat symptoms, but they prevent future reactions by altering the immune response.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2016, November 04). How can Allergy be Treated?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 21, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-allergy-be-treated.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "How can Allergy be Treated?". Medindia. May 21, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-allergy-be-treated.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "How can Allergy be Treated?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-allergy-be-treated.htm. (accessed May 21, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. How can Allergy be Treated?. Medindia, viewed May 21, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/how-can-allergy-be-treated.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
Yasmin clinic , Imax