Accompanying Symptoms of Hot flashes
Hot flashes can be accompanied by feeling of nausea, weakness, headache, chills, feeling of suffocation and palpitations.
Tips for sailing through it!
- Clothes made of natural fibres should be preferred over synthetic fibres as they can absorb the sweat and provide respite
- Exercise has multi fold advantage in that it helps reduce hot flashes and also helps in the overall management of the peri and postmenopausal symptoms.
- Use of sprays or moist wipes like aromatic oils, mint, peppermint, lavender sprays to help lower skin temperature.
- Try to be under a fan as much as possible
- Take adequate rest during the day if hot flashes restrict sound sleep at night.
- Do not sit in stuffy rooms but enjoy a walk in fresh air.
- Do not consume foods rich in spices or foods.
- Intake of fluids and water should be increased to compensate for the losses in sweats.
All the above tips would certainly help make the condition better and provide relief.
A very important dietary consideration is that alcohol, particularly wine and cherry, and smoking should be avoided as these may aggravate
Hot Flash - References:
- Avantina Sharma, Textbook of Food Science and Technology, International Book distributor (IBDC) publishers, India.
- Albertazzi P et al. The effect of dietary soy supplementation on hot flushes. Obstetrics and Gynecology 1998;91: 6-11
- Charles L Loprinzi et al. Venlafaxine in management of hot flushes in survivors of breast cancer: a randomized controlled trial. The Lancet. Volume 356 Page 2059
- Jeri AR. The effect of isoflavones phyto-estrogens in relieving hot flushes in Peruvian postmenopausal women. Paper presented at: 9th International Menopause Society World Congress on the Menopause; October 20, 1999; Yokahama, Japan.
- Vasomotor symptom relief by soy isoflavone extract tablets in postmenopausal women: a multicenter, double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Menopause. 2000 Jul-Aug;7(4):236-42.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Avantina Sharma. (2018, March 21). Accompanying Symptoms of Hot flashes. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/hotflash_symptoms.htm.
Avantina Sharma. "Accompanying Symptoms of Hot flashes". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/hotflash_symptoms.htm>.
Avantina Sharma. "Accompanying Symptoms of Hot flashes". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/hotflash_symptoms.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Avantina Sharma. 2021. Accompanying Symptoms of Hot flashes. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/hotflash_symptoms.htm.