Hot Flash - Management
Hot flashes in particular and the menopausal period can be managed by
Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Vitamin and mineral supplements - Vitamin E, selenium and vitamin B6
- Clonidine (Dixarit, Catapres)
- Evening Primrose oil
Alternative therapies have also been found to be effective in treating the condition.
Homeopathy: The science of medicine by Dr. Haneman is effective in this condition. The medications includes sage, pulsatilla, rhubarb, root extract, sulpha and graphites. The advice is best taken from a qualified homeopathic doctor.
Fragrance therapy: the much publicized aromatherapy massage with essential oils such as sage and chamomile improves symptoms and has also been found effective in the management of the condition.
Herb world: the enigmatic world of herbs in also a potential cure. Herbs like ginseng, black cohosh, lavender, fennel, false unicorn toot and wild yam are used to relieve menopausal symptoms.
Other therapies would include acupuncture, reflexology, chiropractic measures, massage, stress reduction techniques and meditation. All these should be attempted under expert guidance.
Hot Flash - References:
- Avantina Sharma, Textbook of Food Science and Technology, International Book distributor (IBDC) publishers, India.
- Albertazzi P et al. The effect of dietary soy supplementation on hot flushes. Obstetrics and Gynecology 1998;91: 6-11
- Charles L Loprinzi et al. Venlafaxine in management of hot flushes in survivors of breast cancer: a randomized controlled trial. The Lancet. Volume 356 Page 2059
- Jeri AR. The effect of isoflavones phyto-estrogens in relieving hot flushes in Peruvian postmenopausal women. Paper presented at: 9th International Menopause Society World Congress on the Menopause; October 20, 1999; Yokahama, Japan.
- Vasomotor symptom relief by soy isoflavone extract tablets in postmenopausal women: a multicenter, double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Menopause. 2000 Jul-Aug;7(4):236-42.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Avantina Sharma. (2018, March 21). Hot Flash - Management. Medindia. Retrieved on May 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/hotflash_management.htm.
Avantina Sharma. "Hot Flash - Management". Medindia. May 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/hotflash_management.htm>.
Avantina Sharma. "Hot Flash - Management". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/hotflash_management.htm. (accessed May 28, 2022).
Avantina Sharma. 2021. Hot Flash - Management. Medindia, viewed May 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/hotflash_management.htm.