Home Treatment for Tuberculosis
Taking prescribed medicines -
The home treatment for tuberculosis focuses on taking the medicines correctly to reduce the risk of developing multidrug-resistant TB. It is advised the patient-
- Keep regular follow-up with the doctor.
- Take the medicines as prescribed.
- Report any side effects of the medicines.
Healthy eating and exercise -
Eating healthy foods, getting enough sleep and doing some exercise during the treatment regime helps to fight the TB infection. A balanced meal comprising of enough protein and calories help to control the weight loss.
- Eat smaller meals several times a day instead of a few large ones.
- Drink high-calorie protein shakes or other nutritious drinks between meals.
- Drink peppermint or ginger tea.
- Exercise and stay active. Walking is the best form of exercise.
Emotional issues -
As the TB treatment takes long, patients may have trouble coping.
Many patients often feel embarrassed about having TB, or feel isolated or depressed, or are worried about losing their job in the course of the treatment.
A counselor or social worker can help cope with such emotional issues.
Preventing the spread of TB -
A person infected with TB can easily spread the disease to others until he/she has been on antibiotics for about 2 weeks.
Undertake the following measures to prevent the spread of TB-
- Do not go to work or school while the TB infection is in the active phase.
- Ensure proper ventilation of the patientís room.
- Cover the mouth while sneezing or coughing. Dispose of the soiled tissues in a covered container or burn them.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2023, July 21). Home Treatment for Tuberculosis. Medindia. Retrieved on Sep 30, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/home-treatment-for-tuberculosis.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Home Treatment for Tuberculosis". Medindia. Sep 30, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/home-treatment-for-tuberculosis.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Home Treatment for Tuberculosis". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/home-treatment-for-tuberculosis.htm. (accessed Sep 30, 2023).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2023. Home Treatment for Tuberculosis. Medindia, viewed Sep 30, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/home-treatment-for-tuberculosis.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Pulmonologist for your problem? Ask your question
12 years experience
MISHAY HOSPITAL, GOTRI, Vadodara