About Careers Internship MedBlogs Contact us

Gout FAQs

Font : A-A+

Frequently Asked Question for Gout

1. Which specialist should I consult if I have Gout?

You should consult an Urologist or a General Physician.

2. Is Gout curable?

It cannot be completely cured. But it can be prevented by administering medication which can prevent further damage.

3. Who can get gout?

If you eat a lot of foods that are rich in purines, you may get gout. Some of these foods are salmon, sardines, liver and herring. You may get gout if you’re overweight, drink alcohol or have high cholesterol. Men have gout more often than women do. Women are more likely to have gout after menopause. Some medicines may cause gout, such as certain diuretics (water pills), niacin (a B-complex vitamin), aspirin (taken in low doses), and some drugs used to treat cancer.

4. During an acute gout attack what should I do and what drugs should I be taking?

Change your diet plan. Avoid the intake of red meats, shellfish, beer, red wine and salt. First, pain relievers such as acetaminophen/Tylenol or other more potent analgesics are used to manage pain.

Secondly, anti-inflammatory agents such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), colchicine, and corticosteroids are used to decrease joint inflammation.

5. What are the side effects of NSAID group of drugs?

Common side effects of NSAIDS include irritation of the gastrointestinal system, ulceration of the stomach and intestines, and even intestinal bleeding. Patients who have a history of allergy to aspirin or nasal polyps should avoid NSAIDS because of the risk of an intense allergic (anaphylactic) reaction.

6. What are the precautions to be taken with NSAID group of drugs?

Always take the medication after food or with a glass of milk.

Citations   close

Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:

  • APA

    Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2014, November 24). Gout - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia. Retrieved on May 18, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gout_faq.htm.

  • MLA

    Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Gout - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. May 18, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gout_faq.htm>.

  • Chicago

    Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Gout - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gout_faq.htm. (accessed May 18, 2022).

  • Harvard

    Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Gout - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia, viewed May 18, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gout_faq.htm.

Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question

Dr. Srishti Chojer
Dr. Srishti  Chojer
7 years experience
Srishti’s clinic, Indira nagar
Teleconsult Now View Profile
Dr. Anithaa
Dr. Anithaa
2 years experience
Teleconsult Now View Profile
View All

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.



In the past two years I've had over a dozen onsets of this; in the last four months though, it has become more "ongoing" with currently counting 3 episodes and currently experiencing pain. My doctors in the past said nothing more than tendinitis and I know that's not what it is. Recently though, with the pain I'm having I decided to google the information. All the symptoms seem to be relevant to symptoms written.
The only difference; my pain goes straight up my leg (on the inner part kind of like running up my main artery). I can't bend my knee because the pain on the underside is horrible. I can't stand because the top of my foot is so swollen, red and "water logged" that I end up just sitting with my foot up for a good 5-10 days. Please tell me what questions I should ask my doctors.

Oh, PS- I have CKD/ stage 3 and Type 1 diabetes. I weigh 145lbs and am 5'7".

Health Topics A - Z

    What's New on Medindia
    World Hypertension Day 2022 - Measure Blood Pressure Accurately, Control It, Live Longer!
    Drinking This Popular Beverage May Drop Dementia Risk
    Worst Mistakes Parents Make When Talking to Kids
    View all

    Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
    Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

    Most Popular on Medindia

    Sinopril (2mg) (Lacidipine) How to Reduce School Bag Weight - Simple Tips Find a Hospital Blood - Sugar Chart The Essence of Yoga Find a Doctor Drug - Food Interactions Selfie Addiction Calculator Vent Forte (Theophylline) A-Z Drug Brands in India

    Disclaimer - All information and content on this site are for information and educational purposes only. The information should not be used for either diagnosis or treatment or both for any health related problem or disease. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician for medical diagnosis and treatment. Full Disclaimer

    © All Rights Reserved 1997 - 2022

    This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use
    open close