What is Gout?
The word Gout is from Latin and it means drop. Known as "the disease of kings and the king of diseases," gout has been studied by physicians and has caused suffering in countless humans at least since the days of Hippocrates.
Gout afflicts an estimated 840 out of 100,000 people. Gout is strongly associated with obesity, hypertension, hyperlipidemia and diabetes. Gout is a condition with abnormally high levels of uric acid in the blood. It is characterized by recurring attacks of joint inflammation (arthritis), deposits of hard lumps of uric acid in and around the joints and decreased kidney function and kidney stones.
The joint inflammation is caused by deposits of uric acid crystals in the joint fluid(synovial fluid) and joint lining (synovial lining). Intense joint inflammation occurs when the white blood cells engulf the uric acid crystals, causing pain, heat and redness of the joint tissues.
Gout is an hereditary disorder, the intrinsic element of which is an inborn instability of nuclein metabolism which may remain latent, but under the influence of extrinsic factors, infections, becomes manifest, as betokened by local inflammatory tissue reactions in joints or elsewhere the specific character of which is attested by the associated uratic deposition. - Richard Llewellyn Jones Llewellyn, 1885
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2014, November 24). Gout. Medindia. Retrieved on Feb 01, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gout.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. " Gout". Medindia. Feb 01, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gout.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. " Gout". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gout.htm. (accessed Feb 01, 2023).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Gout. Medindia, viewed Feb 01, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gout.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Gout
- Hyperuricemia as a potential plausible risk factor for periodontitis. - Published by PubMed
- Do serum urate-associated genetic variants influence gout risk in people on diuretics? Analysis of the UK Biobank. - Published by PubMed
- Wastewater-based estimation of the prevalence of gout in Australia. - Published by PubMed
- Intramolecular distance in the conjugate of urate oxidase and fatty acid governs FcRn binding and serum half-life in vivo. - Published by PubMed
- Contribution of Rare Variants of the SLC22A12 Gene to the Missing Heritability of Serum Urate Levels. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
1 year experience
1 year experience
5 years experience
2 years experience