Genetic Counseling - Steps In A Counseling Process
- Clinical examination of patient , medical records, X- Ray / ultrasound scan reports, biochemical tests.
- Performa collection (Pedigree / medical history)
- Karyotyping / Banding Techniques
- Flourescent in situ hybridization ( FISH )
- Molecular Diagnosis
- Polymerase chain Reaction ( PCR ) for single gene disorder
- Southern blotting
- Restriction digestion – For mutation of analysis by Restriction Fragment length polymorphism ( RFLP ).
- A gentic counselor will look at the above and establish the following.
- Accurate diagnosis and reports of genetic status.
- Careful examination of pedigree & reports of tests and available data for arising inheritance pattern for risk estimation.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2020, September 18). Genetic Counseling - Steps in Counseling Process. Medindia. Retrieved on May 22, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/geneticcounselling_steps.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Genetic Counseling - Steps in Counseling Process". Medindia. May 22, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/geneticcounselling_steps.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Genetic Counseling - Steps in Counseling Process". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/geneticcounselling_steps.htm. (accessed May 22, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Genetic Counseling - Steps in Counseling Process. Medindia, viewed May 22, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/geneticcounselling_steps.htm.