Safety and Ethical Issues
- The unknown effects related to genetically modified organisms especially because of the development of possible effects on health such as new allergens, new diseases, toxins, nutritional problems and antibiotic resistance.
- Infringement of nature and natural products by disturbing their original genetic transference and by changing the normal genome in plants which have evolved over millions of years in a very precise and ordered way.
- Meddling with the essential properties of plants and animals causing mutations, genetically related diseases and other potential risks.
- Inadequate proof and no control of genetic transference and the results of gene expression, as a single gene subsists as a part of a highly integrated programming and is not responsible by itself for the expression of a particular trait.
- The possible effects on the environment as the development of herbicide-resistant and pesticide-resistant crops can lead to the development of more resilient weeds and pests, which would become even more difficult to counter.
- Unintentional transference of genetic substances by cross-pollination with other non genetically modified foods and their effects on a number of organisms leading to other ecological problems.
- Loss of biodiversity and the change in soil microbial conditions.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Shalini Aul. (2018, June 22). Safety and Ethical Issues. Medindia. Retrieved on May 23, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/genetically-modified-food-safety-and-ethical-issues.htm.
Dr. Shalini Aul. "Safety and Ethical Issues". Medindia. May 23, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/genetically-modified-food-safety-and-ethical-issues.htm>.
Dr. Shalini Aul. "Safety and Ethical Issues". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/genetically-modified-food-safety-and-ethical-issues.htm. (accessed May 23, 2022).
Dr. Shalini Aul. 2021. Safety and Ethical Issues. Medindia, viewed May 23, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/genetically-modified-food-safety-and-ethical-issues.htm.
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
7 years experience
30 years experience
Pro Health Diet Clinic, Sector 37-C