An endoscope is a thin, flexible fiber-optic instrument that is passed through the mouth and allows the doctor to see whether there is any damage to the lining of the esophagus (food pipe) or stomach, and whether there are any ulcers in the stomach or duodenum (first part of the small intestine).
Gastroscopy is an important procedure for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the upper digestive tract. Abnormalities suspected by X-ray can be confirmed and studied in detail during this procedure. Even when X-rays are normal, the cause of symptoms such as abdominal pain and internal bleeding can often be determined by gastroscopy. This technique is useful in the diagnosis and follow-up of patients with peptic ulcers and also allows dilatation of esophageal strictures (tight areas in the food pipe).
Gastroscopy is an extremely safe and worthwhile procedure that is very well tolerated. Serious complications such as infection or internal bleeding occur very rarely.(2✔)
- Gastroscopy - Overview - (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gastroscopy/)
- Gastroscopy (Endoscopy) - (https://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/F_I/Gastroscopy-endoscopy)
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532268/)
- Indications and Contraindications for Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8069470)
- What Happens During a Gastroscopy? - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK310264/)
- Gastroscopy Upper Scope Test - (https://www.permiangi.com/gastroscopy-upper-scope-test.html)
Latest Publications and Research on GastroscopyProspective randomized controlled trial comparing the efficacy and safety of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and one-anastomosis gastric bypass (the RYSA trial): trial protocol and interim analysis. - Published by PubMed
Gastroscopic Panoramic View: Application to Automatic Polyps Detection under Gastroscopy. - Published by PubMed
Unexpected Gastric Ectopic Pancreas During Sleeve Gastrectomy: A Case Report. - Published by PubMed
Serum chromogranin A level continuously rises with the progression of type 1 diabetes, and indicates the presence of both enterochromaffin-like cell hyperplasia and autoimmune gastritis. - Published by PubMed
Edible Bird's Nest Attenuates Menopause-Related Bone Degeneration in Rats via Increaing Bone Estrogen-Receptor Expression. - Published by PubMed