Gastroscopy - Overview
Go to source)
An endoscope is a thin, flexible fiber-optic instrument that is passed through the mouth and allows the doctor to see whether there is any damage to the lining of the esophagus (food pipe) or stomach, and whether there are any ulcers in the stomach or duodenum (first part of the small intestine).
Gastroscopy is an important procedure for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the upper digestive tract. Abnormalities suspected by X-ray can be confirmed and studied in detail during this procedure. Even when X-rays are normal, the cause of symptoms such as abdominal pain and internal bleeding can often be determined by gastroscopy. This technique is useful in the diagnosis and follow-up of patients with peptic ulcers and also allows dilatation of esophageal strictures (tight areas in the food pipe).
Gastroscopy is an extremely safe and worthwhile procedure that is very well tolerated. Serious complications such as infection or internal bleeding occur very rarely.(2✔ ✔Trusted Source
Go to source)
- Gastroscopy - Overview - (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gastroscopy/)
- Gastroscopy (Endoscopy) - (https://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/F_I/Gastroscopy-endoscopy)
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532268/)
- Indications and Contraindications for Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8069470)
- What Happens During a Gastroscopy? - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK310264/)
- Gastroscopy Upper Scope Test - (https://www.permiangi.com/gastroscopy-upper-scope-test.html)
Latest Publications and Research on Gastroscopy
- Hepatic epitheloid haemangioendothelioma: a rare malignant tumour. - Published by PubMed
- Clinical characteristics of cytomegalovirus gastritis: A retrospective study from a tertiary medical center. - Published by PubMed
- Zenker's diverticulum treated with submucosal tunneling endoscopic septum division surgery: Two case reports. - Published by PubMed
- Second-generation magnetically controlled capsule gastroscopy with improved image resolution and frame rate: a randomized controlled clinical trial (with video). - Published by PubMed
- Gastric tuberculosis mimicking submucosal tumor: a case series. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2019, December 12). Gastroscopy - Indication, Contraindication, Performance, Complications, FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 27, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gastroscopy.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Gastroscopy - Indication, Contraindication, Performance, Complications, FAQs". Medindia. Jun 27, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gastroscopy.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Gastroscopy - Indication, Contraindication, Performance, Complications, FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gastroscopy.htm. (accessed Jun 27, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Gastroscopy - Indication, Contraindication, Performance, Complications, FAQs. Medindia, viewed Jun 27, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gastroscopy.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Surgeon for your problem? Ask your question
9 years experience
29 years experience
45 years experience
, Residency Road, Kollam
40 years experience