Frequently Asked Questions1. Whom should I consult for gastroscopy?
You must consult a gastroenterologist.
2. How long does it take to perform gastroscopy?
The procedure of gastroscopy lasts for around 20-45 minutes.
3. How do I prepare for gastroscopy?
Preparing a patient for gastroscopy -
- The duodenum and stomach must be empty during gastroscopy so that the physician's view is not blocked by particles of food. If the test is scheduled in the morning, you must not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before the test. If the test is scheduled in the afternoon, a liquid diet- such as juice, coffee, tea, or broth is recommended for breakfast. Do not eat or drink anything for at least 6 hours before the exam.
- You can continue taking any important medications that the physician has prescribed. Simply take them with a small sip of water at least two hours before your appointment. This allows time for the tablets to dissolve completely.
- Antacids should not be taken on the day of the test.
- Smoking should be avoided as tobacco changes the normal color of the stomach lining.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2019, December 12). Gastroscopy - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia. Retrieved on May 17, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gastroscopy-faq.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Gastroscopy - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. May 17, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gastroscopy-faq.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Gastroscopy - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gastroscopy-faq.htm. (accessed May 17, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Gastroscopy - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia, viewed May 17, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/gastroscopy-faq.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Surgeon for your problem? Ask your question
29 years experience
45 years experience
, Residency Road