A fracture is a condition where the continuity of a bone is lost.
Majority of bone fractures occur because of high force impact or stress on a bone. However, a fracture may also be the result of some underlying medical conditions which weaken the bones, for example osteoporosis and some cancers. The risk of fracture increases as weage because, in old age, our bones can withstand less force.
The signs and symptoms of a fracture vary according to the affected bone and the severity of the injury. However, pain, swelling and difficulty of movement are the common symptoms.
Diagnosis of fracture includes a detailed history and physical examination. X-rays are often taken. Occasionally, CT scanor MRI is used to find the extent of damage to the bone and adjacent tissues.
Initial treatment for fractures includes splinting the affected area, elevation and applying icepack. Conservative treatment for fractures involves pain management and immobilization with plastic casts or metal screws. Immobilization is helpful with initial pain control. Surgical intervention is sought if conservative treatment fails or is not possible.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 25). Fracture - Types - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 09, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fracture.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Fracture - Types - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. Dec 09, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fracture.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Fracture - Types - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fracture.htm. (accessed Dec 09, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Fracture - Types - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia, viewed Dec 09, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fracture.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Fracture
- CT controlled results of direct reduction and fixation of posterior malleolus in ankle fractures. - Published by PubMed
- Finite element analysis of immature teeth filled with MTA, Biodentine and Bioaggregate. - Published by PubMed
- Investigation of the Influencing Factors on the Incidence of Vertebral Fracture: A Meta-analysis Based on Placebo Data of Randomized Clinical Trials. - Published by PubMed
- Proximal humeral fracture in patients with high Charlson comorbidity index: mortality rate according to treatment choice. - Published by PubMed
- The association between irritable bowel syndrome and osteoporosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Orthopedic Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
38 years experience
7 years experience
Ashirwad Hospital, Vidhya Nagar , BEED
12 years experience
9 years experience