Food Addictives may be classified as direct or indirect, natural or artificial.
- Direct additives - These are deliberately added to the product, like artificial sweetener which is added to low calorie soft drinks.
- Indirect additives - Food additives, added in very small quantities as a result of a processing or packaging, are indirect addictives.
Food additives may also be classified as natural or artificial, depending upon its source. For example corn flour is a natural additive while monodiglyceride is an artificial one.
- Food Science: Third Addition - By Norman Potter
- Anticaking Agents - (http://www.foodadditivesworld.com/anticaking-agents.html)
- Hydrogenated Sperm Oil: Sec 173.275, of Ch 1 "Food and Drug Administration, Dept of Health and Human Services", Code of Federal Regulations.