Prevention of Floppy Iris Syndrome
Floppy iris syndrome can be prevented with medications, use of mechanical devices and ophthalmic viscosurgical devices.
Some of the methods of avoiding the consequences of floppy iris syndrome during cataract surgery includes the following:
- Complete patient history: The patient should be asked about intake of medications at the time of surgery as well as in the past.
- Medications: Suspending the use of tamsulosin before surgery is found to be only partially effective. The syndrome can appear even years after discontinuation of the drug. In addition, suddenly stopping tamsulosin may result in urinary retention in the patient with prostate problem.
- Administration of local atropine a few days prior to the surgery has been tried to bring about dilatation of the pupil.
- Introducing adrenaline or phenylephrine in the anterior chamber displaces tamsulosin from alpha receptors and may assist in preventing floppy iris syndrome.
- Mechanical devices: These devices are also known as the mechanical pupil expansion devices. They help in obtaining an adequate area of the pupil by dilating it, prevents it from constricting and prolapse of iris. These include iris retractors, methacrylate rings, silicone rings, Malyugin ring, Graether, Perfect pupil and Morcher ring.
- Ophthalmic viscosurgical devices (OVDs): High density solutions like Healon5 (2.3% hyaluronidate) are sometimes used during cataract surgeries to reduce iris wobbling.
- J González Martín-Moro, F. Munoz Negrete, I. Lozano Escobar, Y. Fernández Miguel. Intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome. Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 2013;8 8(2):64–76
- Chang DF et al. ASCRS White Paper: Clinical review of intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome. J Cataract Refract Surg 2008; 34:2153–2162
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2019, July 11). Prevention of Floppy Iris Syndrome. Medindia. Retrieved on May 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/floppy-iris-syndrome-prevention.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Prevention of Floppy Iris Syndrome". Medindia. May 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/floppy-iris-syndrome-prevention.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Prevention of Floppy Iris Syndrome". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/floppy-iris-syndrome-prevention.htm. (accessed May 26, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Prevention of Floppy Iris Syndrome. Medindia, viewed May 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/floppy-iris-syndrome-prevention.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Ophthalmologist for your problem? Ask your question
17 years experience
Shree Ramakrishna Netralaya , Manpada Dombivili east
10 years experience
Shantived Institute of Medical Sciences, Sikandra